Wednesday, June 8, 2011

He-said, she-said

When people here the word high school, one of the words that is most likely in the top ten things they think of is... Gossip. "she said.....", " she is dating so-and-so" when I think of the rumor system I think of the game telephone. You want the message to stay the same all the way through right?? It seems like no matter how hard you try the message always changes. Often, people will change it to make the message funnier, they will change the reality of what was said on purpose. Purposely making a different story than the truth right?

Rumors are similar and as I was reading John 7 in my bible I came across a verse that can relate to rumors. In John 7:18 Jesus says," A person making things up tries to make himself look good. But someone trying to honor the one who sent him sticks to the facts and doesn’t tamper with reality."

I feel this relates perfectly to gossip. The person who changes the message is trying to make themselves look better by making someone else look worse. They are hurting someone else so that atleast they look better than that other person

I felt God speaking on my heart that rumors or talking about people behind there back is something that needs to be addressed even in the church. Everyone struggles with the drama of other people's lives. We need to mind our own business and let God handle it.

:) I challenge everyone to evaluate this week how long we spend talking about other people behind their backs. I also challenge everyone to think about if they know that persons story? Are they struggling? Do they know Jesus?
How can you treat someone rudely if you don't know their story? Spend 5 minutes of your day to learn a little bit more about those people instead of talking about them behind their backs.

Have a great day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment